Basket
View Basket

Total
£0.00

Items have been added to the basket
Box Office: 01392 665885
12th to 21st October 2018

St Peter's Church, Tiverton

St Peter's Church, Tiverton Image

Parking:  

Market Place car park

Toilets:    

In the market place

Food:      

The Hartnoll Hotel (01884 252777)

Tiverton Hotel (01884 256120)

Rose & Crown, Calverleigh (01884 256301)

There are a number of cafes and restaurants in Tiverton. 

_________________________________________________________________________

St Peter’s significance to Tiverton

St. Peter’s has been the centre of civic life in Tiverton for centuries and still serves as the site for the town-wide celebrations of Remembrance Day and Mayor’s Sunday. In times of celebration or sadness, Tiverton turns to St. Peter’s. The Church’s Grade 1 listing derives primarily from the beauty and historic significance of the Greenway Chapel built in 1517 (see separate item). John Greenway is buried in the Church, along with several other 16th century cloth merchants, men who were vital to the growth and commercial success of the town. Their great wealth is reflected in the rebuilding of the Church and the establishment of schools and almshouses on a very generous scale. The Parish Registers date from1560 and contain an unusual wealth of information, including in some cases the occupations and cause of death of those listed; they are available for viewing at the Museum of Mid Devon Life and the Devon Archives and Local Studies Centre (see under Useful Links on this site).

Early history

A Saxon village, Twyfiride (two fords), existed on the site of Tiverton’s town centre from the ninth century, shaping the layout of the oldest part of the town. Early in the tenth century, a wooden church, which may have been dedicated to a Celtic saint, was sited within the area of the present churchyard.

St Peter’s Church was rebuilt in stone on the site of the present chancel and was consecrated in 1073 by Leofric, first Bishop of Exeter.

Only one doorway remains from this period, now in the north wall of the church. This was the entrance used by the Earls of Devon, the de Redvers family, who were given the lordship and manor of Tiverton by Henry I. Their Castle on the north side of the Church was completed in the first half of the 12th century.

At the end of the thirteenth century, the Manor and Castle of Tiverton passed to Hugh de Courtenay, who was created Earl of Devon in 1335 by Edward III.

 View Location 

Performances

Evensong with the Choir of Bristol Cathedral (Not on sale) 3:00 pm Sun, 21 Oct 2018 St Peter's Church, Tiverton More Info