Basket
View Basket

Total
£0.00

Items have been added to the basket
Box Office: 01392 665885
12th to 21st October 2018

St Andrew's Church, Ashburton

St Andrew's Church, Ashburton Image

Parking: 

Public car park off North Street. Also at Rendells Auctioneers car park, Stonepark, Ashburton TQ13 7RH

Toilets:

By the main car park. Closes at 7pm. In the church hall next to the church

Food:

The Fish Deli 7 East St

Ashburton Deli 16 North St

The Brick House (01364 653939) Booking advised (Normally closes on Mondays at 5pm, but will stay open until 7pm for the Festival on 15th October)

No 14 Wine Bar (01364 653057) Booking advised

_________________________________________________________________________

The Parish Church of Ashburton, dedicated to St. Andrew, is situated in West Street, just a short walk from the centre of the town. The earliest known records of the Church date back to the 12th Century when John the Chanter, Bishop of Exeter (1186-91) gave it to the Chapter of Exeter Cathedral.

In the 14th century, Walter de Stapeldon, Bishop of Exeter (1307-26), Lord Treasurer of the Realm, a trusted servant of King Edward II, hearing of its dilapidated condition, formally visited the Church on April 3rd, 1314 and finding amongst other defects the North Aisle in ruins, ordered these to be remedied on pain of a heavy fine.

Rebuilt in the 15th century the Church has traces of 13th and 14th century remains incorporated in the building. A product of the 15th century mason, impressive in its stately dignity, grandly proportioned and possessing a strong individuality, the tower rises 92 feet to its embattled parapet. The tower contains one of the finest peals of eight bells in the district. The transept fronts are especially worthy of attention. The beauty of line and proportion which so characterises this Church is apparent throughout. The 18th century entrance gates are wrought-iron of exceptionally fine workmanship and design. They are surmounted by the arms of the Borough of Ashburton. 

The interior has much of interest with a long wagon roof running the entire length of the church. The shaft of one of the dignified piers of the nave is made from a single piece of granite. There are some fine 15th century wooden roof bosses in the side aisles. In the 15th century the prosperity of Ashburton led to the chapel of St. Thomas a Becket, in the north transept, becoming the Guild Chapel of the wool workers and the chapel of St. Catherine, in the south transept, becoming that of the tinners. 

Many changes took place in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries but these were largely swept away in the Victorian era when a massive restoration programme, carried out by the architect W. G. Street, gave the Church it's present neo-Gothic character. The Michelmore family, and others of late Victorian time, put in the stained glass windows. With their rich colours and strong Biblical themes they are a means of Christian teaching. Half an hour can easily be spent studying the message of these beautiful stained glass pictures.

The early 20th century saw the addition of some beautiful woodwork with elaborate carving by Herbert Read and Harry Hems of Exeter. The reredos, carved by Herbert Read and placed in the church in 1928, is a fine example of craftsmanship with it's symbols of the Annunciation. This also depicts stories of the apostles, Peter and Andrew. 

 View Location