View Basket


Items have been added to the basket
Box Office: 01392 665885
25-27 Sep & 2-4 Oct 2020

All Saints' Church, Okehampton

All Saint's Church, Okehampton Image

All Saints’ Church, Church Lane, Okehampton EX20 1LW

Directions:       In Okehampton, at the traffic lights, turn up West St. (opposite The White Hart); go over the mini-roundabout, up the hill and when nearly past the houses, turn left into Vicarage Road. Go to the top
Parking:          Off the church lane, opposite the church
Toilets:           By the car park, opposite the church
Food:              The White Hart, Fore Street, Okehampton (Wetherspoon) 01837 658533

A Church has stood on this hill since Saxon times when the little hilltop village of Ocmundtune was closely grouped around its (probably wooden) Church and surrounded on all sides by dense forests. With the building of Okehampton Castle soon after 1066, present day Okehampton began to develop in the river valley and the little Saxon village was progressively abandoned.

It is certainly known that a Church existed here prior to the first recorded consecration by Bishop Bronescombe of Exeter in 1261. The lovely medieval building, which resulted from a further re-building in 1447, was destroyed by fire in 1842. It was rebuilt again to this plan, by Hayward. The 80 foot granite ashlar tower alone survived the blaze and was incorporated into the rebuilt Church which, although somewhat larger, was designed, more or less on the lines of the previous one. There are remains of the old stone reredos against the west wall of the south aisle. The organ is reputed to be one of the finest in Devon.

The reredos is of stone and was built in 1891 by Hems and the choir stalls and altar rails date from 1892. The pulpit is a little older, buing installed in 1872. There are several fine stained glass windows in the church, notably one south window by Morris and Co. depicting St Cecilia and the Angels. The North Window is by the Kemp studios and others are by Ward and Hughes. In the Lady Chapel there is a small section of medieval glass displayed in a cabinet beside the altar.